Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving and the Weihnachtsmarkt

The Christmas Season seems to have started early in Ostwestfalen this year.  Today is Thanksgiving in the USA and plain old Thursday here.  I remember the Weihnachtsmarkt opening on the Monday after the First Sunday in Advent, but this year it's the Monday before the first Sunday in Advent.  That may be a little too long for me.  It's thrown my planning off as well as my poor sense of time.
There's just so much bratwurst you can eat (although the pork chops and baked potatoes should be available on a full year basis).

The setup here in Herford is a little different than many.  The handcrafts are housed in the Rathaus Market Hall, which is separated from the rest of the stands and festivities and can easily be missed by those unfamiliar with it (it took me five years before I discovered it!) in the same way that the Gänsemarkt can be missed when people come to the end of Bäcker Strasse and look across the bridge and think 'There's nothing in this direction'.

Signs, or banners, or maps would be nice.

None of these criticisms are meant to be negative.  I used to do process improvement for a living, so I'm just trying to be helpful.  I love the Weihnachtsmarkt, not just the physical thing, but the concept. It's so much jollier and cozier than an indoor shopping mall, where you probably won't find baked potatoes.....

So, Happy Thanksgiving, America.  Come on over and visit before the New Year.  We can eat potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment