Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Warburg

Took the train down to Warburg this morning.  This one’s a must see and worthy of an encore.  The Old City is absolutely beautiful, uphill and down, with plenty of fachwerk (half-timbered, German lesson for free) houses.  Churches, watch towers, and plenty of outdoor cafes.  From the Old City, I walked about 4 km. to the Desenberg Burg Ruines.  It was Sunny, hot, and there were no trees to keep the Sun off of the old head, but it was a pleasant, easy walk until I got to the foot of the hill.  I met a young man from Heford, about Abby’s age.  He came down on his motorcycle, and we climbed the backside of the hill together.  image It was steep, narrow, and not the best footing, but he was a nice guy who pretended to need to take a break when he heard me breathing heavy…… We got to the top without incident, took photos, then relaxed, enjoyed the views and shot the breeze.  He was born in Khazakstan, so I got to talk Russian again, but his German was great, and his English pretty good.  While were relaxing, a class trip of just a little more than ankle biting age showed up and provided a little amusement.  On the way down the other side (which was an easy gravel path) he asked where he could see my photos, so I gave him my card. We parted with the comment that if we didn’t run into each other in Herford, we’d probably meet on top of another hill with a Burg on it!
I took a bus back to the train station and got back to Herford about 7:30.  Drank a couple of liters of cold green tea, and hat a bite.  Pictures are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment