Friday, September 20, 2013

Marktkauf: the Garden of Earthly Delights

Supermarket marketing is an interesting phenomena.  Years ago, a supermarket was a grocery store that had a butcher shop and maybe a bakery attached.  You could get fresh fish, fruit, and vegetables and all of the canned goods, cake mixes and whatever else.....

Today, I am forced to hike a kilometer through clothing, electrical appliances, books, office supplies, shoes, and in some cases, a liquor store before I get to the food.  It used to annoy me, but I've changed my mind.  It's something to do when the grocery list is fast in my head and I've got no plans.  Wander around the store, look at what they've got to offer, and sometimes, in a rare fit of extravagance, but some of it.  Not the liquor, of course, I am, after all a teetotaler.  But tee shirts for 10€ or socks for 3, those are deals, and I love deals.

Christmas is a comin' and the geese are getting fat, so I've got to fill my shelves in case of guests (a phenomenon not experienced since 27 December, 2009 (with the exception of the chimney sweep who sees my gas furnace is 'in ordnung' every January)).

It's not that I don't like company, it's just that I get enough of it in the cafes and beer gardens and bistros I haunt, not to mention the supermarket.  Here on Steinstrasse, solitude is the order of the day.  Solitude, and cooking, and eating.  Occasionally, I write something silly or carve a figure from basswood (lindenholz) or play an ancient folk song (something out of the '60s) on one of the guitars.  In between, I meditate (on my navel, and yours) and walk around.

Thank you for your attention.  I am very happy you dropped by.

No comments:

Post a Comment