Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Stone Street Zendo Mumbles

I was thinking this morning about how I could strengthen my practice and crawl closer towards enlightenment, and so I looked out on the internet to find the proper robes and cushions, custom made, pretty expensive, and ritualistic, Soto Style, Rinzai Style, layman, monk, polyester.  STOP

Gautama sat around in his everyday clothes, loose and comfortable.  No special apron.  No special stuff.

I'm pretty sure Jesus did the same, and Ghandi, and all of the other holy guys who came before them.  It is the religious complex that dictates such and such material in this or that color, with this chant or that and the reading of this text or that one.  The real practitioners get comfortable and sit.  What they experience internally is the reality of their practice, not the special incense or bells, the experience.  Of course, you can make yourself more susceptible to altered states of consciousness with smells and sounds, but the real challenge is being all alone inside of yourself in silence.

So, I'm gonna just sit, quietly.  And when I'm finished, I'm gonna go for a walk, like a snail, and find my next meal or my next smile.

Peace and Love from Steinstrasse/Stone Street, home of the Schneckenbuddha.....

No comments:

Post a Comment